Friday, October 9, 2015

Shoe Shopping. Ugh.

Since I got a height-adjustable desk and now stand for much of the workday, I need comfortable shoes. My old black flats finally wore out, which means I have to find new shoes.

Shopping for shoes is a task I dread. I have wide feet. With rare exception, stores don't carry wide widths, so I have to order shoes online. And the shoes rarely fit properly, which means I have to send them back. Such a hassle!

I ordered four pairs from 6pm.com, my first time ordering from them. One pair - Aravon Maura - almost fit and were pretty cute for a comfort shoe.

They are indeed comfortable to stand in, but they flop up and down on my heel when I walk. The other three pairs did not fit at all. It cost a small fortune to ship them back. :(

So I returned to the trusty Zappos. Free shipping both directions. :D

I ordered seven pairs of shoes from seven different brands, plus one pair of low boots.

Of those, I will be keeping... NONE. :P Two pairs almost fit, which is a better result than usual. I will order those in a different size and hope for the best.

14 comments:

  1. Hopefully you'll find something that fits! It takes me forever to find something small enough to fit my feet that aren't also pinching them,oddly enough all of my favorite shoes are in all bigger sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I prefer to err on the side of larger shoes. I can always wear thicker socks or add insoles if needed.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh I know the feeling. I am an unusual size (UK 9) with wide, flat feet. Most shoes are uncomfortable for something. Like Converse are great for walking around town but too thin-soled for standing. Most work shoes are uncomfortable so I'm wearing chunky trainers for work. My canvas Doc Marten boots are comfy to walk in apart from the fact that they dig in across the top of my foot. My leather boots bend and rub my heel and at the moment (because they're both quite new) the low shoes feel like they're sawing my heels in half. I both love and hate shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a similar issue - most shoes hurt my feet, but in different ways. Frustrating!

      Delete
  3. I'll never buy shoes online. was too disappointed except for a pair of lolita shoes I couldn't find downtown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky you don't have to resort to that. I'd love to be able to buy shoes in a store!

      Delete
  4. I've become very nit-picky over the years when it comes to shoe shopping. Last pair of flats I bought pinched my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand wearing uncomfortable shoes. I get grumpy when my feet hurt.

      Delete
  5. I've got the same duck foot problem.... AND my feet are two different sizes. Hell is real and it is shoe shopping. The only shoes I own right now that don't hurt are some zero-drop minimalist Merrells and some really ugly Crocs.

    I think the solution is to get really good custom orthotics and then just learn to make shoes around them. For real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck feet are such a curse! Sometimes I think the shoe boxes would be more comfortable to wear than the shoes. I should look into getting orthotics.

      Delete
  6. Wide feet here too! Usually end up with too-long shoes :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Either I trip because the shoes are too long, or they flop up and down on my heel. Or both!

      Delete
  7. I don't like shoe shopping either, but buying online is almost as bad as shopping for them in stores. I have nice feet (small, medium sized), but I hate trying them on. And I only like uncomfortable shoes, but I don't buy them because I only buy comfy shoes. I refuse to suffer for aesthetics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I won't wear uncomfortable shoes (at least to the extent that I have a choice). That means I end up in boots or dowdy shoes... but so be it.

      Delete